Oh my God, they killed….Chef?

Point…

NEW YORK – Isaac Hayes has quit “South Park,” where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Counterpoint…

“South Park” co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, “This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology… He has no problem — and he’s cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians.”

Much as I would love to side with the creator of Hot Buttered Soul on this one, I have to finally come down in the “Fuck Scientology” camp.

8 Comments to "Oh my God, they killed….Chef?"

1. March 13, 2006 - 8:22 pm | Permalink

With you on that, brutha. I was all “What the fu… Oh. Co$. Fuck them up thier stupid fucking asses.”
    Stone and Parker have some great lines in there though:
    “…[hayes] wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin.”

2. March 13, 2006 - 11:23 pm | Permalink

Gotta go with y’all. South Park has been on air for nine seasons, with Isaac Hayes there since the beginning. They’ve made fun of religion pretty much since the beginning. All of a sudden, Hayes has a problem with the tone of the show towards religion?
    Please.
    I think the Co$ has been putting something odd in the acolytes’ water lately. Look for John Travolta to publically lose his mind within six months…

3. March 14, 2006 - 2:07 am | Permalink

As a Scientologist, I’m very insulted that all of you would be so closed-minded as to dis my spiritual beliefs without any real understanding of the Church. Through Scientology, people all over the world are achieving the long-sought goal of true spiritual release and freedom.
    There’s nothing wrong with believing strongly enough in your religion to feel it’s above reproach, if that is in fact true. And there is also nothing wrong with believing you were an extraterrestrial in your past life. We are not crazy. We are enlightened.
    I really encourage all three of you to visit a Scientology center at some point and take one of our free personality tests, and maybe watch a couple of films. Then, perhaps, you’ll be able to open your minds a little to a truly amazing spiritual path that until now, your minds have been dark and closed to.
    Syl.

4. March 14, 2006 - 2:07 am | Permalink

P.S. Kidding.

5. March 14, 2006 - 8:53 am | Permalink

I should know better than to post stuff about the CoS in a public forum, but I tried to send you an e-mail about this and it bounced — are you not using Road Runner anymore? Anyhow, I’m going semi-anonymous for this post — just don’t need to invite scientology nutjob stalkers into my life. Anyhow, according to the info I’ve been getting since January (pretty steady info/updates from an FOAF) the Hayes/Scientology situation is even creepier/more ghoulish than is appears.
    My source says that Hayes had a serious stroke about 6 weeks back. At first I was a bit skeptical, but then one day *after* I heard about the stroke Hayes’ “people” announced he had been hospitalized for that All Purpose Cover Story, “exhaustion.”
    Word is that he has some serious damage to his brain, could not speak after the stroke and still has some very serious speech impairment, and also suffered serious kidney damage and needs a transplant. He is now at home, in terrible condition, and is obvioously unable to work of South Park at all, but for some reason he and his caretakers have chosen to keep the entire thing under wraps. As soon as he was released from the hospital, two men from the CoS were sent to stay at his house and oversee his treatment 24/7. They have full control of his treatment and one guards the door at all times. His family doesn’t even know if he has a will or what his finances are — only the CoS knows this stuff, and they are controlling all communications regarding these matters. He also reportedly needs a kidney transplant, but his children don’t want to give him one. One son might, but it’s iffy.
    The articles relating to Hayes quitting South Park don’t note *how* he communicated his decision to quit and reasons for doing so, but I’d bet just about anything it’s all via letters and press releases with no face to face contact between Hayes and anyone not within the CoS.
    Creeeepy.

6. March 14, 2006 - 2:18 pm | Permalink

Ick. Ick. Ick.

7. March 15, 2006 - 8:35 pm | Permalink

Of all the reasons for a cast member to quit this show, refusal to “tolerate” Co$ bashing is so deliciously apropos that I could giggle.

8. March 21, 2006 - 9:24 pm | Permalink

Well that’s just scary. Seeya Chef.